Stepping Stones Museum for Children
- A museum with over 100 hands-on activities for kids under 10.
303 West Avenue, Norwalk, CT · Phone: 203-899-0606
Kid City Museum
- A hands-on museum with three floors of exhibits for ages 1 – 8.
119 Washington St, Middletown, CT · Phone: 860-347-0495
The Discovery Museum & Planetarium
- Three floors of hands-on fun with science and daily planetarium shows.
4450 Park Avenue, Bridgeport, CT · Phone: 203-372-3521
The Stamford Museum & Nature Center
- Enjoy a picnic on the meadow, walk over 80 acres of nature trails, drop in to the Hecksher Farm and don’t miss the latest exhibition in the Bendel Mansion Museum Galleries.
39 Scofieldtown Rd, Stamford, CT · Phone: 203-322-1646
Danbury Train Museum
- A small indoor museum with tours of the train yard and seasonal train rides.
120 White St, Danbury, CT · Phone: 203-778-8337
The Dinosaur Place
- A family oriented activity center featuring activities with fossils, life-size dinosaurs, gems, rocks and minerals.
1650 Route 85, Montville, CT · Phone: 860-443-4367
Peabody Museum of Natural History
- The Peabody Museum of Natural History at Yale University is located in the Science Hill section of the Yale campus, at Whitney Avenue and Sachem Street in New Haven, CT.
Information tape: 203-432-5050
Golden Age of Trucking Museum
- Display of antique trucks ranging from the early 1900’s until 1974, stock cars, children’s area with computers, books, puzzles, games, blocks, easels, ride-on toys.
1101 Southford Rd., Middlebury, CT · Phone: 203-577-2181
Shoreline Trolley Museum
- Features one hundred vintage trolleys, a three-mile ride aboard an antique trolley car, and guided tours the the trolley yard.
17 River Street, East Haven, CT · Phone: 203-467-6927
Railroad Museum of New England
- Trains operate seasonally from Thomaston Station and offers holiday themed trains plus A Day Out with Thomas.
242 East Main Street, Thomaston, CT · Phone: 860-283-RAIL (7245)
Aquariums & Zoos:
The Maritime Aquarium at Norwalk
- Watch sharks, jellies, sea turtles, and more than 1,000 other marine animals or enjoy a film in the IMAX movie theatre.
10 N. Water St, Norwalk, CT · Phone: 203-852-9700
- One of New England’s most popular attractions, Mystic Aquarium has something for everyone – from Sea Lion shows that delight all audiences, to the collections of Dr. Robert Ballard, the world-famous deep-sea explorer.
55 Coogan Blvd., Mystic, CT · Phone: 860-572-5955
The Beardsley Zoo
- A small zoo with over 300 animals.
1875 Noble Ave, Bridgeport, CT · Phone: 203-394-6565
The Bronx Zoo
- The Bronx Zoo is located in the Bronx borough of New York City, within Bronx Park. It is the largest metropolitan zoo in the United States, comprising 265 acres (107 ha) of park lands and naturalistic habitats, through which the Bronx River flows.
2300 Southern Blvd, Bronx, NY · Phone: 718-367-1010
Quassy Amusement Park
- A unique family-oriented seasonal facility, offering swimming, picnicking, a catering service, a huge family redemption arcade, “Saturation Station,” and more than 20 rides.
2132 Middlebury Road, Middlebury, CT · Phone: 203-758-2913
Lake Compounce Amusement Park
- Seasonal theme park and water park with rides for children as young as 3.
271 Enterprise Drive, Bristol, CT · Phone: 860-583-3300
Coco Key Water Resort in Waterbury, CT
- This indoor water park is ready for you rain or shine. Whether you are here for a birthday or simply to enjoy the day at the water park, the resort keeps the temperature at a perfect 84 degrees, so every day is as sunny and warm as a day in Key West.
3580 East Main Street, Waterbury, CT · Phone: (877) 338-9171
- A working farm with seasonal activities including pumpkin picking, fruit picking, tractor rides, and an animal farm (fees required).
451 Sport Hill Road (Rt. 59), Easton, CT. Phone: 203-261-3306
The Jones Berry Pumpkin Farm
- Seasonal activities include fruit & pumpkin picking, wine tasting, hay rides & corn maze.
606 Walnut Tree Road, Shelton, CT. Phone: 203-929-8425
Find a Pick-Your-Own Farm Near You in Connecticut!
Other Fun Things to Do:
Essex Steam Train and River Boat
- Daily rides aboard a steam train and river boat on the Connecticut River. Dinner cruises, Day Out with Thomas, holiday trains.
The Valley Railroad Company, One Railroad Avenue, Essex, CT. Phone: 860-767-0103
Farmington River Tubing
- Farmington River Tubing will put you and your friends in our specially designed river tubes for a 2.5 mile ride down the wild and scenic Farmington River.
92 Main Street, New Hartford CT. Phone: 860-693-6465
Kid Places & Activities:
- A state of the art children’s gymnastics and recreation facility designed for kids!
224 South Main Street, Newtown, CT. Phone: 203-426-1300
Vasi’s International Gymnastics
- Offering recreational gymnastics classes for children from 20 months old through high school age, cheer-tumbling classes and boys parkour classes. Also offering Birthday Parties, Parent’s Night Out, Open Gym and Summer Day Programs.
8 Pecks Lane, Newtown, CT. Phone: 203-270-8274
- Indoor bouncing fun on giant inflatables. Featuring Open Bounce, birthday, team, holiday, fundraiser parties, programs & camps.
305 Hathaway Dr., Stratford, CT. Phone: 203-375-2700
- Inflatable fun for everyone! Open sessions, birthday & fundraiser parties.
1106 Federal Road, Brookfield, CT. Phone: 204-546-8470
Sports Center of CT
- Golf practice facility, 18-hole miniature golf course, baseball & softball batting stadium, lazer tag arena, fun bowl bowling and ice arena. Lessons, competitive exercise, parties.
784 River Rd., Shelton, CT. Phone: 203-929-6500
American Institute of Tae Kwon Do
- Offers martial arts classes for children and adults. Aerobic kickboxing for adults. Six week special and trial classes available.
380 Monroe Turnpike, Monroe, CT. Phone: 203-459-1100
Creative Music Center
- Offers music lessons and parties, instrument rental, retail and repair.
701 Main Street (Route 25), Monroe, CT. Phone: 203-261-7301
Kindermusik at Music for Little Hands
- Every Kindermusik class immerses your child in a rich, developmentally appropriate environment. Our multi-sensory approach allows children to see, feel, hear and then express concepts in their own creative way. Join them as they dance, sing, listen, play and pretend.
115 Main St (Route 25), # 7, Monroe, CT. Phone: 203-452-8252
Lakes & Beaches:
Great Hollow Lake
- Visitors enjoy relaxing and sunbathing on the sandy, 700-foot beach and swimming in the 16-acre lake. Aside from swimming, the body of water is used for rowboats and fishing.
Great Hollow Lake takes up one side of Wolfe Park, with its own entrance off Purdy Hill Road in Monroe, CT. Phone: 203-261-6197
- Local public state beach parks include Sherwood Island in Westport, Silver Sands in Milford (both on Long Island Sound). Indian Well Park is in Shelton on the Housatonic River. Check the website for details regarding amenities at each park such as concessions and bathroom facilities. Sherwood Island and Indian Well charge a daily fee. Silver Sands, which has not charged in the past, does not have amenities. At Silver Sands it is a long walk across the marsh lands on a board walk from the parking to the sand, so bring a wheeled cart or travel light! Silver Sands is especially fun for the kids at low tide.
Seasonal Events Around Monroe, CT:
- Sponsored by the Monroe Congregational Church annually in mid June. Includes craft show, games for children, live entertainment, strawberry baked goods and jams.
Route 111 and Church Street on the Monroe Green in Monroe, CT.
- Sponsored by St. Peter’s Episcopal Church annually the weekend after Labor Day. Crafts, baked goods, children’s games, moon bounces, face painting, apple products for sale.
175 Old Tannery Road, Monroe, CT 06468
- Sponsored by St. Jude Church annually at the end of August. See church website for details as August draws near.
707 Monroe Turnpike. (Rte. 111) Monroe, CT 06468