Have you ever tried to remove a splinter or glass sliver using the traditional way of going in after it with a sterilized needle? Ouch! —Then you know that it is a painful, uncomfortable process and is often a very traumatic and tearful act that parents need to do occasionally to help their children when splinters occur. It is awful for the children and can make for some nervous (and queasy) parents. Sometimes it is nearly impossible to do the traditional needle exploration with many children and a trip to the doctor is sometimes necessary.
Did you know there is a better way? AND… no tears or pain is involved. This method of splinter / glass sliver removal involves the skin of a ripened banana. A ripe banana peel is rich in enzymes, antioxidants, minerals, and vitamins. Not only that, the enzymes in the banana peel have a drawing action that will pull the foreign matter to the surface of the skin, making it much easier to grab the splinter or sliver with a pair of tweezers.
You’ll be creating a natural and healing poultice which will draw the foreign matter from the body while soothing the skin. In addition, the antioxidants, as well as vitamins B6 and C in the peel will stimulate the healing process.
Creating and applying a banana peel poultice to draw out a splinter:
- Using the peel of a ripened banana, cut a small square piece of the peel to cover the affected area. (Save the remaining banana peel in the refrigerator, in case it requires a couple days of poultices.*)
- Ensure that the pulp side of the peel is against the skin.
- While holding the peel in place, tape it using a piece of surgical tape. (The “shiny” fabric surgical tape is best and can be purchased in pharmacies.)
- Leave the banana peel poultice on overnight.
- In the morning, the banana peel should have drawn the splinter / glass sliver to the skin surface, making it ready for easy removal with the tweezers. (It may also show in the peel when you remove it from the skin.)
* Note: For more deeply embedded splinters, it may require one or two more nights of this treatment. In this case, use a fresh section of banana peel each time.
This is a remedy that you will be amazed at and your child will thank you for going this route, rather than the painful traditional needle route.